26 September 2011

Ocean's Eleven

We have tried, several times, to take Kid 2 camping for her birthday. It always rains. This time we decided to outsmart the weather and get cabins instead, about an hour's drive and a five-minute water taxi ride away. This pic is from when we went last winter.

The rain held off until Saturday night, when the heavens opened with a vengeance ... packing up and getting back late Sunday morning was a cold, wet affair. But we did have fun. Before the deluge I played ping pong with Kid 1. And badminton. He is outraged that there are sports at which I'm slightly better than him ... And I went fishing but didn't catch any fish, but that's not always the point.

Oh, it wasn't my party? I think Kid 2 had fun also, with her five friends. There was arguing and chaos and eating of marshmallows and chocolate and not enough sleeping. Girls on the cusp of adolescence are interesting creatures. Not always attractive, but definitely interesting. Kid 2 looks more like her brother every day. Note: short haircut entirely her choice.

Kid 1 had just returned from a week of cadets camp (36-hour exercises, no sleep, 'rat pack' food) so was shattered on Friday night but held it together with remarkable fortitude. My fabulous brother joined us to help balance the age and gender ratios also.

All in all, I think it was a good way to start the kids' school holidays. I had hoped to take a week's holiday myself, but the Work Gods will not have it. At least for two weeks I have no teaching, so I can try to catch up on all my other work (paid and non-paid).

Tonight we are having the actual birthday festivities (today being the official day of Eleven-ness) at my in-laws' place. I'm cooking (I know, unusual, isn't it?) as my MIL has just come out of hospital and finds the whole cooking for a crowd thing rather irksome. Kid 2 is a hard-core carnivore, so we're having barbecue ribs with homemade BBQ sauce, potato salad and corn, followed by Eton Mess. Her favourite dessert ever is creme brulee (good kid) but there wasn't time for it to set ...


And here she is in all her Birthday Maxi-dress Glory.

10 comments:

That's Not My Age said...

She does look like her brother - as did I at that age! Even had the matching hair too. Kid 2's crop looks fantastic, very Emma Watson.

Tiffany said...

TNMA, Kid 2 will be mighty chuffed at the Emma Watson comparison - I shall pass it on! I love that she is the only girl in her school with short hair; she just does what she likes.

Susan B said...

You have a great looking family! So nice that you were able to have some fun time together.

Tiffany said...

Thanks, Pseu, that's a very nice thing to say. In real life they are slightly less pasty-looking - Kid 1 especially is very olive in summer ...

And yes, it was great to actually hang out together. We've been so busy lately that some 'nothing' time was very welcome.

materfamilias said...

Your kids are both good-looking. And your daughter is gorgeous in that dress and that haircut. Belated happy birthday to her!
The cabin was a smart idea -- would have made hiding out from the rain much cozier than a tent.

Tiffany said...

Thank you, mater. Yes, it was definitely good to be able to hide away in cabins rather than tents - and to avoid the sheer misery of taking down and packing up tents in pouring rain!

Weird in edgewise said...

Your children are beautiful! And your daughter is just gorgeous in that dress. She looks so pretty and confident. And yes, very Emma Watson!

Weird in edgewise said...

I've just noticed you don't allow anonymous comments, and you moderate. I received my first-ever negative blog comment this morning. Boy was I mad! From "Anonymous" of course. Took a lot of effort to be mature about it.

Perhaps I'll follow your example here.

Tiffany said...

Thanks, OWW. And, yes, I do moderate. To be honest I was prompted by a member of my family writing something that I didn't want on my blog - nothing to do with me, but voicing an opinion I didn't like or agree with. A bit control-freakish of me, perhaps, but that's me :)

Weird in edgewise said...

Thanks, Tiffany. I may do this.
And note that if the world had more control freaks such as the likes of us, things would be a lot more under control!